Job Vacancy - May 2021.
Rehearsal Studio assistant.
**Part time position available at Bally Studios, please share or tag friends who may be interested**
To apply, please email us at with an application letter and your CV.
For the first time since Oct 2017 we have a new vacancy available at the studios, due to two part time staff members being unable to commit to their current shifts for the future. (One of whom is moving home, too far away to make their shifts worthwhile for them, the other needs more time to spend on their other musical projects.) We're very sad that they are going, whilst also being very happy with the other opportunities that are opening up to them, and whilst some of their shifts have gone to current staff members, we'll need to find a new staff member to cover 2 shifts each week. If you are looking for a part time job in a rehearsals studio, read on.
Shifts will be available on Friday evenings and all day Sunday, based on when we have bookings at the studios. (Staff members are not needed when we don't have bookings). Availability on these days is really important. We can also provide applicants with a record of all of the shifts that were available at the studios from 2010-2021 on these days, so that the applicant can see what kind of shifts are likely to be available to them.
The role available is for a studio assistant, which entails
- Setting up the rehearsal studios for the bands.
- Helping them with the equipment.
- Taking payments from bands.
- Keeping the place clean.
- Taking phone bookings.
- Doing general maintenance on the studio equipment (re-skinning drum-kits, etc)
- Basically doing things that keeps the studios in a great condition for the bands that use us.
Here is what we are ideally looking for:
- First and foremost, in a post Covid-19 world we need to stress how important it is that any candidate is able to work within the current health and safety guidelines. Part of the job will include disinfecting the studios before each session, making sure that band members are socially distanced, filling out the paperwork and making sure that all customers are contacted after their sessions, for track and trace. Lots of help will be given to you for this, but we need someone who understands how important it is these regulations are adhered to, and how important it is that there is no compromise at all, no corner cutting. The safety and health of our customers is more important than anything else.
- Someone who is friendly and loves chatting to musicians. That's a big part of the job, we want the bands to feel as welcome as possible at the studios, so we're definitely hiring for attitude, and are happy to train for skills if it is necessary.
- Living relatively local is a must. As there is only one person at the studio at any one time, it is really important that there are no delays in getting into work, and so we are looking for someone who lives within 30 minutes of the studios at most, to prevent the risk of being late due to traffic or transport problems. At times there is also the possibility of last minute shifts being available too, so living locally would mean we could give potential extra shifts on top of your usual shifts, if you wanted them.
- As the role is for looking after the rehearsal sessions, a good grasp of the usual gear that bands would use in a rehearsal session is ideal. We are always more than happy to help out if you are unsure about bits and pieces, but having good basic knowledge on how to match guitar heads and cabs, the difference between a rack tom and a floor tom and a valve and solid state amp, how a mixing desk works and how to re-skin a snare drum will be infinitely more useful than a degree in audio engineering from a prestigious university. At the very least, a strong desire to learn is a must.
- Someone who loves taking photos for us to use for the studio's social media would be a great bonus.
- Dependability. As there is only one person at the studios at any one time, if you are unable to make a shift it will have knock on effects for sessions. In the last 16 years there have been less than 40 sessions out of 37,000 that we have been unable to meet (mainly due to powercuts, flooding, or our road being closed due to the London riots) and it is really important that we find someone really dependable, as we really value delivering all of the sessions booked. We would rather have less staff members so that the ones that we do have get more shifts, get better at their job and get to know more bands, but as we have so few staff members it means that each one of us is very important to the studios. There are 2 other members of staff within the team, with a 3rd working for the business remotely.
- The ability to move equipment from room to room is essential.
- Great organisation, time management and self motivation. We may have 3 hours when staff members are working but not much is happening, and then a 30 minute period where 5 sessions are ending and another 5 are starting, so we need someone who is able to plan ahead so that the quiet times become times to prepare for the busy times. As there is only one person at the studios you will need to work well without supervision to make sure that small jobs are completed and everything is kept really clean, problems are spotted, and hurdles overcome. It is impossible to underestimate how important being self motivated is.
Here are things that we are NOT looking for:
- It is always a bonus to have someone who likes recording, and you can do as much recording as you want there on a personal basis here, but we are not looking for someone who only is looking for a role in a recording studio. In the past many of the applicants would go into great detail about what recording software they are really good at, but we are looking for someone to work in a rehearsal studio, not a recording studio.
- You do not necessarily need experience in rehearsal studios or a wealth of qualifications. As long as you have the basics down, a positive attitude, a good work ethic and are a good team player, we can help with everything else. All we are looking is for a nice person who is hungry to learn, and is a hard worker.
Wages are always well in excess of the minimum wage, and meet current UK Living Wage Standards, (£9.50 per hour+) with Christmas bonuses on top for hitting yearly targets. We ALWAYS guarantee a certain amount of shifts per week in advance, none of this "finding-out-on-the-day-if-you-have-a-shift" nonsense. We want the job to make your life better, not to put extra stress on you, so we do all that we can to make sure that the job is as stable as possible. Usually we organise the shifts about a week in advance, based on what is best for everyone as a whole. We understand that you need a certain amount of hours to make the job worthwhile, and will always let you know how many we have available so you can make plans. We are happy for applicants to chat to past members to find out how they found working at the studios.
We are also always happy for people to have other jobs as well, or to be studying at the same time. As long as you are able to complete your usual shifts, and have the possibility of doing other shifts when people go away (which will be arranged in advance, and are not obligatory,) you will never need to give up anything else to work at the studios. After all, the whole point of a job is to make your life better, so we would not want you to have to give anything up to work here. We always try to work with staff members to make sure that they get a great work-life balance.
If are able to commit a part of your week to us, we will make sure that there are shifts for you. The job would also be perfect for someone in a band, since we offer unlimited rehearsals for staff members in their down time, which has enabled current staff members to record whole albums themselves, over long stretches of time in the studios. We also always promote from within, with our current Studio Manager starting off working at the studios in 2009, and now working full time at the studios. The job also includes meeting lots of other band members, you'll get trade prices on gear, extra things like that. Seeing as we are a small company, the people that we hire are so important to us, if you know us already or already use the studios it will help your chances, as then we will know that you understand how the studios operate. If you applied for a past job position and were not successful, feel more than welcome to get in touch with us, since many people in the past were not selected because we needed different candidates to augment the skills that other staff members had. Now that our current staff members have changed, so too will our needs.
In the past 16 years we have had 14 staff members at the studios, and each and every one of them has played an important role in the studios development. We hope that the next person that we find is able to continue this. Plenty more details available upon request. More information on the studios is on this website.
Anyone interested, please get in touch with us at . Thanks! :-)
The team - Bally Studios.